Along with France, Italy is one of the top-rated European destinations, which has always been associated with romanticism and lovers. Couples come here for the honeymoon experience in paradise: to sit back, relax under the sun, enjoying and sharing their love with one another. If you would like to get away from the stressful city-life for a while, spend your holidays in Italy with your dearest. With this list, I will recommend 5 things for couples to do in Italy.
1. Jump on a boat in VeniceWhen it comes to traveling in Europe, Venice is so famous for its romance and natural beauty that couples will always find their way to this small ‘water paradise’ without much hesitation. It is the world’s only pedestrian city! You can easily explore the city and go shopping on foot, but make sure you know the way around, or go with a local as it’s easy to get lost here amongst the similar street corners. One of the top must-dos here, which I am sure you can not find anywhere else in the world, is to take a gondola ride on the waterways that connect the whole city. Besides walking, water buses or water taxis (vaporetti) are the other main means of transportation to get around more quickly.
2. Walking along the canals in MilanDon’t be surprised to find that there are small, sweet canals too in both Amsterdam and Milan. Water is the gold of Milan: from many rivers and natural springs, as well as the canals right down to its wastewater system. Nowadays there are three main existing canals: the Naviglio della Martesana, Naviglio Grande, and Naviglio Pavese. Walking along the Navigli district through the long peaceful canals lying along many old colourful buildings is a rare experience in this busy fashion capital. Here you can find the most pedestrian-friendly streets in the city. The area is best during the summer months, when you can watch the sunset while seeing cruise boats passing on the canal. Another thing I love about Milan, is that there are street performers everywhere singing love songs and playing their pianos or guitars.
3. Watch the sunset in Florence or BergamoKnown as the capital of culture, art, and architecture in the Tuscany region, Florence is also one of the most famous cities for both couples and solo travelers visiting Italy, besides Venice and Rome. Avoid coming to these cities in the summer season because all the places are buzzing with tourists. A great area to walk around the city is along the Arno River, crossing any bridge above it through the narrow and medieval streets in the Santa Croce area. One of the best places to get a panoramic view of the city is from Piazzale Michelangelo.
Another great city to also admire the sunset view with everything you need to see in Italy, such as the river, old bridges, medieval towers, and small houses down the hill, is Bergamo. There are many spots in the Uptown part of the city to enjoy its landscape, including the Rocca and the Bell Tower.
4. Take a wedding photo in RomeAnother city meant for romance in Italy is Rome. Surrounded with bed and breakfasts for couples, this city attracts thousands of couples who spend their honeymoon and vacations here. Begin a day of romance here at the Spanish Steps, where you can walk up 135 steps to reach the top where you’ll enjoy a magnificent view of Ancient Rome. Also, do not forget to visit the Colosseum. Many couples come here to take wedding photos despite the crazy amount of tourists around here.
5. Have a romantic seaside meal in Sicily
How to get around Italy
Commuting within Italy is cheap especially with buses and flights. Book your trip early and you can get as low deals as 2 EUR bus fares and 10 EUR flights with Ryanair for transporting between various cities. Ryanair only operates in several cities in Italy such as Bergamo and Pisa.
Get Trip101 in your inbox
You can buy and claim online, even after you've left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
*5% off when you book with our promo code: TRIP101
*For our Canadian and US travellers, unfortunately due to financial services laws, we cannot provide a discount. This promotional code cannot be used with any other discount offer, including World Nomads Members’ discount for travel insurance policy holders.