When it comes to romanticism in Europe, people are often concerned with such famous destinations like France and Italy. Less attention is paid to Austria — a significant art and cultural centre where worldwide famous artists like Mozart and Oskar Kokoschka were born. Take a virtual tour around Salzburg with me so discover what sort of affordable activities you can do to experience the artistic and romantic sides of this hypnotising city.
1. Stroll around Mirabell Palace and GardenThe first thing to put on your itinerary, as soon as you get off the central train or bus station of Salzburg, is to walk to the Mirabell Palace and Garden. This is a highly touristy spot, yet not too loud and still offers lots of space for couples to walk around and enjoy the magnificent view of a royal garden and grand palace. From here you can also see the tremendous Hohensalzburg Castle, which is another must-visit that I will mention later.
2. Leave your love lock on the famous bridge, StaatsbrückeBudapest and Bruges are certainly famous for their love locks, and there’s an impressive one in Salzburg as well, on the Staatsbrücke bridge. The most stunning thing about the site is not the bridge itself, but the picture perfect view of the castle, the cathedral and the river flowing through the town and flowing down the hill. What a brilliant spot for enjoying the sunset with your partner!
3. Enjoy a picnicBy the Salzach’s river banks, you can act like the locals and bring your own food and drink for a picnic. There are also plenty of other spots for relaxing on the grass. Or, walk a bit around the Mirabell Palace and Gardens main garden that is in front of the palace. Many families and kids cycle and play on the ground around this area.
4. Get lost in the Old TownDon’t be surprised if you feel like you are in Germany. The shopping streets of Salzburg are very similar to those in Germany, though there are more souvenir and music shops dedicated to Mozart’s music. The old town is full of cafes, bars and restaurants, but I would suggest going for a quick kebab or portion of fries at a street-food stand to save some time and quickly head to the next stop.
5. Visit the cathedralAnother important must-visit site downtown is the Salzburg Cathedral. This 17th century stunning Baroque cathedral, with a museum housing sacred treasures inside, is a massive piece of artwork to view. In the Residenzplatz, which is not very far from there, you can find many horse carriages that will bring you back to medieval times with just a ride around the Old Town.
6. Walk to the Salzburg FortressDating back to 900 years ago, the Hohensalzburg Fortress is not only the most eye-catching, precious monument of the city that rises high above the hills, but also one of the most beautiful Gothic castles of Europe, with its hidden associated legends. The Reckturm wacht-tower offers a dazzling panoramic view of the city. Though visiting the castle with the funicular is quite expensive (12 EUR or about 13.69 USD), it’s slightly cheaper to reach it from the footpath and in groups (9.2 EUR or 10.36 USD).
7. Visit the birthplace of MozartThere are several museums and concert halls dedicated to the life and work of Mozart including Mozart’s Geburtshaus (Mozart’s birthplace) and Mozart-Wohnhaus (Mozart’s home), to name a few. Mozart-Wohnhaus, which nowadays houses a museum detailing his life, appears more popular to visitors. The other, a museum displaying artifacts about his life, lies close to a stunning area with lots of spring flowers blossoming that you can see for free.
Enjoy the journey!
A romantic trip does not need to be associated with expensive dining and a luxurious shopping spree. It’s possible to enjoy a meaningful time with your loved ones when traveling, if you know how to make use of the best travel hacks. For couples, take things slow and you will find a way to compromise so both of you to enjoy the journey.
Get Trip101 in your inbox
You can buy and claim online, even after you've left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
*5% off when you book with our promo code: TRIP101
*For our Canadian and US travellers, unfortunately due to financial services laws, we cannot provide a discount. This promotional code cannot be used with any other discount offer, including World Nomads Members’ discount for travel insurance policy holders.