Virginia, sometimes called the “Old Dominion,” is home to some of the most historic cities in the United States. It was the birthplace of eight US presidents, and is also known for its thriving tobacco industry. It is an ideal place for anyone who wants to go on a vacation, and if you’re the kind of traveller who likes getting off the beaten path, you have all the reasons to explore Virginia. From old cemeteries to unusual building designs, this state never fails to tickle imaginations and leave everyone in awe.
Itching to see Virginia’s weird yet wonderful side? Here are some of the most unique things you will find here!
1. A living-history museumA visit to Colonial Williamsburg is like entering a time machine. Spanning 301 acres (122 hectares), this open-air living-history museum is dotted with a mix of 17th century, 18th century, and 19th century structures. It also has a so-called Historic Area, which is constructed just like colonial American cities once were. There are restored and recreated buildings, as well as well-planned main thoroughfares. Adding to the nostalgic atmosphere are the employees, guides, and interpreters sporting colonial-era fashion. They even speak using colonial grammar and words!
2. Life-sized dinosaurs
3. Aircrafts and spacecrafts
4. Archaeological dig sitesJamestowne was the first ever English settlement in the United States. Since 1940, it has been recognized as a National Historic Site, which is conserved by the efforts of the U.S. National Park Service and Preservation Virginia. Today, it is an archaeological dig site that you can visit by joining a guided tour. The Jamestown Rediscovery team conducts these tours, bringing guests to active excavation sites and answering every question raised by guests. If you’re lucky, you might even get to witness that amazing moment when an archaeologist discovers an artifact in the ground!
5. The CIA Museum
6. The Creeper Trail
7. National D-day Memorial
8. A glass art collection
9. The world’s first cone machine
10. Amusement park rides
11. A drive-through zoo
12. Edgar Allan Poe Museum
13. A 207-foot (63-meter) continuous escalator
14. The Presidential Pet Museum
15. One of the world’s ugliest buildings
16. Firearms collection
17. Stalacpipe organ
18. Giant movie screens
19. Stonehenge replica
20. Historic cemeteries
Weird and wonderful Virginia
After you’ve visited Virginia’s main attractions, it pays to take a look at the state’s weird yet wonderful side. Go off-the-beaten path and you’ll surely have amazing discoveries you never even thought you could have!
Get Trip101 in your inbox
You can buy and claim online, even after you've left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
*5% off when you book with our promo code: TRIP101
*For our Canadian and US travellers, unfortunately due to financial services laws, we cannot provide a discount. This promotional code cannot be used with any other discount offer, including World Nomads Members’ discount for travel insurance policy holders.