Welcome to New York! Amid tall skyscrapers and impressive statues, New York is a fast paced urban jungle. It is hard not to get caught up in the buzz of the city. However, New York has many unique experiences that will take you deeper into its culture. Here are 5 fun things to do while in New York City.
1. Take a chance on Broadway and enter a ticket lotteryHere is a chance to pay less for Broadway tickets. When you are in New York, you have to watch a musical; it is a showcase of the industry’s best production, writing, acting, dancing and singing. Joining the lotteries allows you to buy tickets at a fraction of the prices you would normally pay.
On Broadway, certain musicals hold lotteries (very much like a lucky draw) a few hours before a show where you can visit to drop off your name and contact number. Each entry allows you to win up to 2 tickets. Thereafter, the game master will draw about 10 submissions from the pool and you get to find out there and then if you have won!
Winning gives you a chance to buy seats at lower prices. These seats are front row seats or balcony seats that have not been sold. Therefore, the number of draws varies slightly depending on the number of balcony seats available. Remember to check online for your favourite musicals to see if they are a part of this.
2. Have a laugh at Lips Drag Queen ShowSassy, hilarious and simply fabulous! Lips drag queen dining shows are always good fun, including 1.5hrs of singing, dancing and dirty jokes. The ladies keep it fresh with different themes and casts each night, which you can check out on the official website (listed at end of article). Shows are often sold out 2 to 3 weeks before and phone reservations are required. Lips is open from Tuesdays to Sundays, closed on Monday and have multiple evening shows each night. However, if mornings are better for you, brunch shows are on Sundays.
Operating Days: Tuesday- Sunday Address: 227 East 56th Street, NY 10022 Contact no.: 212-675-7710
3. Eat at New York’s largest food fair, SmorgusburgEveryday, between April to November, some of New York’s best restaurants and vendors gather for Smorgusburg to serve up their house specialties. Expect smoked meats, tacos, ramen burgers, bubble tea and many more that can be seen on the vendor’s list on the Smorgusburg website. Food is normally served on disposable plates and bowls for you to take and eat while you walk. The price per portion range from 4 to 10 USD. Smorgusburg is held outdoors at multiple locations on different days of the weekend, but the 2 biggest markets are at East River State Park on Saturdays and Brooklyn Bridge Park on Sundays where there are over a 100 stalls!
4. Walk though the urban jungle atop The High LineNot your conventional walk in the park, walking through the High Line gives you great views of New York city. The park is built on an old railway track above the busy roads and weaves you through high skyscrapers and brick houses; a view truly unique to New York City. The park comprises a path of boardwalks and pavements with observations decks and seats along the way where you take in the view.
Stretching from Gansevoort and Washington Street to 34th Street and 12th Avenue, the park is about an hour walk from end to end. However, you can enter the park from many access points via staircases and elevators from the streets that lead you up to the boardwalk. I like to come up or go down at 16th street because there is Chelsea market, a food emporium nearby where you can grab drinks and food before or after. During the warmer months, performances and small fleas held at the High Line will bring this place to life.
5. Fly at a circus acrobatics classNot for the faint hearted, a circus arts class will take you upside down and around! At The Circus Warehouse, you can join in classes of flying trapeze and silks. Classes are 1.5 to 2 hours where experienced teachers take you through warm ups, learning of the apparatus, doing tricks on them before finally cooling down. No prior experience is required so do not let that stop you. Classes are held indoor with all the equipments you would need. Just come dressed appropriately in tights and a comfortable top to get the most out of the session. Reservations in advance is required.
Plenty to do in New York City
These are fresh ideas of what you can do in New York. Save while you watch the iconic Broadway musicals, laugh with different personalities, indulge in a variety of street market food, etc. Enjoy a New York shaped by its people and have fun with it!
Get Trip101 in your inbox
You can buy and claim online, even after you've left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
*5% off when you book with our promo code: TRIP101
*For our Canadian and US travellers, unfortunately due to financial services laws, we cannot provide a discount. This promotional code cannot be used with any other discount offer, including World Nomads Members’ discount for travel insurance policy holders.