Arts and Houston go hand in hand. A host of amazing museums and a population that recognizes and appreciates good art has meant that Houston has emerged as the center of art and culture in the United State of America. From free museums to the museums exclusively catering to the children, Houston’s museum circuit has covered all the bases extremely well. If you are visiting the city and wish to get a piece of the much-renowned local art scene, this list will help you out! Here is a list of 28 museums that will make you fall in love with Houston all over again:
1. Children’s Museum of HoustonHouston isn’t one of them! Rated as one of the best children’s museum in the entire United States, the Children’s Museum of Houston boasts of a number of interactive exhibits that keep kids busy by getting their minds to work. Well-suited for children aged 12 and below, the museum also offers free family nights every Thursday between 5 pm and 8 pm. Some of the exhibits that shouldn’t be missed include FlowWorks, Kidtropolis, Powerplay and Cyberchase. Tickets cost 12 USD each, for children and adults alike.
P.S. They also organize birthday parties, just in case you are interested!
2. Houston Museum of Natural Science
3. Houston Space Center
The tickets for adults cost 24.95 USD each.
4. Houston Holocaust Museum
5. Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
6. Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston
Did we tell you the best part? It is free!
7. The Health Museum
8. The Menil Collection
9. C.G. Jung Educational Center
10. Art Car Museum, Houston
11. John C. Freeman Weather Museum
12. Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
13. 1940 Air Terminal Museum
It may fail to wow you from the exterior, but this museum holds history like no other place in Houston.
14. Blaffer Art Museum
15. Station Museum of Contemporary Art
16. USS Texas Museum Ship
17. National Museum of Funeral History
18. Lawndale Art Center
19. The Houston Museum of African American Culture
20. The Heritage Society
21. Rothko Chapel
22. The Printing Museum
23. Rice Gallery
24. Houston Center for Photography
25. Czech Center Museum, Houston
P.S. It also serves as a venue for wedding receptions, just in case you are interested!
26. Buffalo Soldiers National Museum
27. Asia Society Texas Center
Since they keep on holding different lecture series, it is worth getting membership to get discounted tickets and free admission to the exhibitions!
28. Lillie and Hugh Roy Cullen Sculpture Garden
Live the city of Houston through its museums
People may talk about museums facing shortage of crowds or people losing interest in museums and exhibitions globally, but none of that holds true when it comes to Houston. This long and thriving list of museums (non-exhaustive) is a delight for any art-lover, knowledge-seeker, science enthusiast, fan of nature, and more, coming to the city. Houston is one of those cities that offers you much more than you can probably handle! Whenever you think you have explored the entire city of Houston, something new will come to your notice. By the time you complete this list, you will likely have another list of places to visit in Houston; that’s the magic of this city!
Get Trip101 in your inbox
You can buy and claim online, even after you've left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
*5% off when you book with our promo code: TRIP101
*For our Canadian and US travellers, unfortunately due to financial services laws, we cannot provide a discount. This promotional code cannot be used with any other discount offer, including World Nomads Members’ discount for travel insurance policy holders.